Thursday, June 16, 2011

Perfectionism pays off - The ultimate Soft and Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies

So, I'm a bit of a perfectionist.
There, I said it!

I'm not happy until a recipe is perfect
and I will never ever serve something to someone I'm not happy with.

I think being a recipe tester would probably be a dream job for me.
Testing recipes day in and day out, being paid to bake or cook and tweak recipes until they're perfect time and time again - aah!
Anyone need a recipe tester? ;)

My sister is a perfectionist's nightmare.
She will always find a little something she doesn't like or something you could've done differently.
So, being the perfectionist I am, I have been searching for her ultimate chocolate chip cookie recipe. 
Sounds easy, no? Heh.. right..


First issue? 
My sister tends to like the cookie dough more than baked cookies.
 Sure, I could just give her bowl after bowl of cookie dough, but that's not a challenge.

[Begin weeks of recipe tweaking and testing here]  

Soft cookies were the answer.
The type of cookies that stay soft even after they've cooled completely and have been sitting in a container.
But, my dear sister, also likes chewy cookies - so I had to find a cookie that had chewy edges and a ever-soft centre.

I changed flour ratios, butter ratios, chilled dough, used only egg yolks, changed baking temperatures, altered baking times and tried a million different techniques.
And then, I came up with a brilliant recipe on a whim 
(I think I need to thank the baking gods for this victory, however)

I had found THE ULTIMATE Soft Choc Chip Cookie.
Soft centres.
Slightly doughy.
Chewy edges.
Just the right amount of chocolate chips.

and best of all? 
It can be made into crunchy cookies with the perfect amount of chew just by increasing the cooking time.
Perfect for my family who is split down the middle with soft cookie and crispy cookie lovers :P


The Ultimate Soft and Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipe Pin It
makes about 2 dozen medium cookies

150g Butter, softened slightly
2/3C Brown Sugar
1/2C White Sugar
1 Egg
1 tsp Vanilla Extract
1 1/2C Flour 
1/2 tsp Baking Powder
1/2 tsp Baking Soda
1/4 tsp Salt
~1C Chocolate Chips 
(This is really a personal preference - so add however much you feel is right!)

Preheat oven to 165*C
With an electric mixer, cream butter and sugars until light and fluffy.
Add egg and vanilla and beat until incorporated.
Add in flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt and mix until incorporated.
Mix in chocolate chips until they are dispersed evenly throughout the dough.
Cover the mixing bowl with cling wrap and refridgerate for 15-30 minutes until dough is quite firm.
(Note: on my second batch I actually left the dough for 2+ hours and it worked perfectly - just took a little bit of effort to work into balls)

Once the dough has chilled, roll heaping tablespoons of dough into balls and place on a lined baking tray about 4cm/1.5 inches apart.
Bake for 10-15 minutes or until edges are cooked and golden (the centres will still be soft).
For crispy cookies: Leave for 15-20 minutes depending on your desired amount of crispiness.
Leave cookies to cool completely on trays before transferring to a container/serving tray.

Now, I'd like to tell you how long they last.
But, errr, I can't - because they don't last.
They'll be gobbled up in the blink of an eye!

So tell me, 
Are you a perfectionist in the kitchen? (or in general)
and What's one recipe you just. can't. get. 

I once spent a week having the exact same baked oatmeal breakfast every single day because I was trying to perfect my recipe. 
(This is really unusual for me - I never have the same breakfast two days in a row, 
I at least change my topping combinations :P)
But now, I have perfected it! Worth the repeat breakfasting :P


Love this recipe? Be sure to check out my new blog - Southern In-Law!

2 comments:

  1. Wow....how many batches of choc chip cookies did you make before you got to this recipe? I don't think I'm a perfectionist....but sometimes I wonder if I might be a little bit :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, probably too many - she's fussy!

    I think everyone has a little bit of perfectionism, it's only human!

    ReplyDelete